There are a lot of costs associated with moving into a new home and one of the biggest is the deposit. If you found a place to live but haven’t got enough money for the deposit our Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme may be able to help.
How does the scheme help?
If you qualify for our Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme we can help by providing a no cash deposit guarantee for suitable private rented property in Newcastle.
How does the scheme work?
Newcastle City Council can provide private landlords with a written guarantee in place of a deposit. The guarantee lasts for up to 12 months and gives tenants time to save a cash deposit to give to the landlord.
We do not pay cash to you or the landlord but if something goes wrong with the tenancy the landlord can claim against the guarantee.
How do I apply to the scheme?
To apply for help from the Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme you will need you to complete an application form online at www.tyneandwaerhomes.org.uk. If you need help to apply contact Private Rented Service Newcastle on 0191 2771438 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When you apply you will need to provide:
- Proof of identity and date of birth
- Proof of national insurance number
- Proof of your current address
- References from previous and current landlords
- Evidence of your right to remain in the UK if you are not a British Citizen
Once you have found a property you think is suitable you will need to tell us:
- The address of the property
- The Landlord’s name and phone number
- How much rent and deposit you need to pay
- The registration number from your application
We will then check if the:
- The property is in Newcastle upon Tyne
- The property is affordable
- The property meets your needs
- The landlord will accept a deposit guarantee
- If you are eligible for the Scheme
How do you qualify for the Scheme?
To qualify for the Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme you must:
- Be aged 16 and over
- Have a connection to Newcastle
- Be able to manage a tenancy without support