Support for the Armed Forces Community

The Armed Forces Community refers to any serving, or former member (often referred to as a veteran) of the Army, Navy, Royal Mariners or Royal Air Force, including families, dependents, reservists or veterans. 

Newcastle City Council recognise the sacrifices that members of the Armed Forces have made during their time in service and are committed to supporting the Armed Forces community in Newcastle.  

You can find out more about how Newcastle City Council support members of the armed forces on our website at Armed Forces Community Support. 


What Support is Available

Many servicemen and women may require advice and support on issues such as housing, healthcare, education, training and employment.  Newcastle City Council work in partnership to provide the Armed Forces Outreach Service helps veterans make the transition from military life back into civilian life and also supports serving members of the Armed Forces and their families.  The service is available Monday to Friday, offering help with benefits, employment and housing. 

To find out more and to speak to an Armed Forces Community Outreach Worker please visit the  Armed Forces Outreach Service website


Help with accommodation

If you need help finding accommodation in the private sector, or are currently living in private rented accommodation but are experiencing problems we have a number of serves available to help.

We can assist you in finding safe and affordable properties in Newcastle and can help with a number of up front costs including help with a deposit.

If you are a veteran and need emergency or temporary accommodation you can contact Avondale House.

If you renting from a private landlord and are experiencing problems such as struggling with rent, understanding your rights you can talk to us on 0191 277 1438 or email us at .

If you landlord isn't carrying out repairs you can contact us at