What is MEES?

Minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) were introduced by the government in 2018.   The regulations were introduced to improve the energy efficiency of private rented homes in England and Wales making them warmer and more cost effective to heat.

Landlord have to provide a EPC for any home they rent and if the rating is too low, they might need to carry out improvement works to make the property more energy efficient.


What is a EPC?
An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented.   When you view a property a landlord should provide you a copy of the EPC.

An EPC will tell you:

  • about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
  • give recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to a G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.  It will let you make a decision about how much the property is likely to cost to heat and help you decide which property to choose.


Check an EPC
You can view the EPC of the property you rent or are considering renting on the online EPC register.  You will need the post code and address of the property.


Report a property
If you rent a property that does not have a EPC or has a failing EPC (and the landlord has not provide an exemption) you can report this at epc@newcastle.gov.uk 

Tenants E bulletin
Want to know more about your rights and responsibilities when renting from a private landlord? Sign up to our bi monthly tenants e bulletin, we’ll keep you up to date with everything you need to know when renting from a landlord. 

Email us at privaterentedservice@newcastle.gov.uk