What is Accreditation?

Property accreditation is a voluntary scheme that landlords and managing agents can choose to participate in to demonstrate their commitment to maintaining high standards in the private rented sector.

The purpose of property accreditation is to promote responsible and professional practices among landlords, improve housing standards, and protect the rights and well-being of tenants. Landlords who join our accreditation scheme are required to meet specific criteria and standards, which include:

    • Compliance with legal and safety requirements: Landlords must ensure that their properties meet all legal and safety standards, such as having valid gas safety certificates, electrical safety checks, and complying with fire safety regulations.
    • Property condition and maintenance: Landlords are expected to maintain their properties in good condition and promptly address any repair or maintenance issues that may arise during the tenancy.
    • Tenancy management: Landlords should manage tenancies fairly and responsibly, respecting the rights and privacy of their tenants, and promptly responding to any concerns or issues raised.
    • Training and education: landlords must maintain and enhance their knowledge and understanding of their responsibilities and best practices.

By participating in property accreditation, landlords gain recognition for their commitment to providing quality housing and are entitled to certain benefits, as detailed below. You will also benefit from access to resources and support from Newcastle City Council, and a competitive edge in the rental market.

How the scheme works

Newcastle Housing Accreditation scheme is a property-based scheme that requires a full property inspection.

In deciding whether a property can become accredited the scheme considers three elements; the property itself, the way the property is managed and the person who is reasonable to manage the property.

This guidance provides details of what the landlord would be expected to comply with in terms of the property standards and their own professionality.  We know that each property is different and if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact our helpful team for advice.

How do I join the scheme?

  1. Complete and return the Accreditation application form.
  2. Provide a current, satisfactory gas safety certificate (CP12) (where gas is supplied to the property).
  3. Provide a current valid energy performance certificate (EPC)
  4. Provide a current, satisfactory electrical safety certificate (EICR).
  5. Arrange a property visit.

What else do I need to know about the Accreditation scheme?

  • Accreditation status lasts for 5 years.
  • Accredited properties will be listed on the PRS website (with permission from owner).
  • Accreditation for a particular property is only valid for the landlord or agent making the application and cannot be transferred in the case of the property changing ownership or management arrangements.
  • Landlords will be eligible for any scheme benefits while their property remains on the Scheme.
  • A landlord may remove a property from the scheme by making a written request to the Council.
  • Any complaints about the condition of a property on the scheme will result in an inspection.
  • Failure to comply with the standards and requirements will result in the property being removed from the scheme.
  • Should you be removed from the scheme before the end of the 5 years, you will be required to repay any associated licence fee discounts you have received.

What are the benefits of the Accreditation Scheme?

Property accreditation offers several benefits for both landlords and tenants in the private rented sector. Some of the key advantages include:

  1. A discount of £100 off your property licensing fee if the licensable property is accredited.
  2. Supplementary Parking Scratch cards - the first book of 10 full day permits is issued free of charge for qualifying landlords. Supplementary Parking Scratch cards for Landlords | Newcastle City Council
  3. a discount against the £300 Annual Landlord Parking Permit is offered for qualifying landlords.  Landlord Parking Permits | Newcastle City Council
  4. Free training, workshops, and educational materials on topics such as landlord responsibilities, tenancy management, and legal requirements.
  5. Early bird access to the Annual Landlord Conference.
  6. A sticker to place in the window of the property. You will also be placed on the Councils accreditation website.
  7. Free recycling bag
  8. Property advertising via Newcastle Private Rented Service
  9. Support and advice on managing your property.
  10. Access to an online library for useful documents such as tenancy agreements and notices.
  11. A dedicated telephone line for enquiries of landlords with accredited properties.
  12. The scheme offers an opportunity for landlords to demonstrate their professionalism, and commitment to maintaining high standards and providing quality rental properties. This can enhance your reputation among tenants.
  13. Accredited landlords may have a competitive advantage in the rental market, as tenants often prefer to rent from landlords who have met specific standards and best practices.

Accreditation Standards

Property standards for accreditation refer to the specific requirements that a landlord must meet. These standards encompass various aspects of the property's condition, including safety and management, aiming to ensure that it meets high-quality and legally compliant standards. Property standards for accreditation may cover areas such as disrepair, electrical and gas safety, fire safety measures, heating and insulation, ventilation, security, and general property maintenance.

The property must also be free from category 1 hazards as defined under the Housing Act 2004. More information on Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) can be found here.

Property Management

Ensure that inspections of the property are carried out at least every six months to identify any problems relating to the condition and management of the property. The records of such inspections should include details of who did the inspection, the date, and any issues raised and then kept for the duration of the Accreditation.  In the event a payment of rent is missed, a visit must be made to the property no later than one month from the date the payment was due, to ensure that the property is secure and has not been abandoned.

Ensure that any complaint made in writing about disrepair or pest infestation is actioned and any necessary works carried out. As far as is reasonably practical, emergency works required to protect the security of the property should be carried out within 24 hours.  Ensure that all repairs to the house or any installations, facilities, or equipment within it are to be carried out by competent and reputable persons and that they are completed to a reasonable standard.

Fire Precautions

In circumstances where construction standards are poor, properties have an unusual layout, travel distances are excessive, or occupants are considered ‘high risk’ then additional measures to those detailed below may be required.

  1. Escape routes must be kept free of obstructions and combustible materials at all times.
  2. Polystyrene ceiling and wall tiles should be replaced with a suitable alternative.
  3. Escape route walls and ceilings should be of sound traditional construction and not pass through any rooms.
  4. Emergency lighting is to be provided if the escape route is long, complex or lacks sufficient borrowed light. This must comply with the recommendations of BS 5266, Part 1 current edition.
  5. All smoke and heat detectors must be hard-wired, interlinked and comply with the recommendations of BS 5839, Part 1 or 6, current edition.
  6. All smoke and heat detectors are to be tested in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions as part of the regular management property inspection. These tests should be appropriately recorded.
  7. 30 minutes fire separation is required between any unoccupied basement and the ground floor, including a 30-minute fire door fitted at the head of the basement stairs, where basement is used to store combustible materials and/or houses gas or electricity meters. However, relaxed standards to apply where basement is free of combustible materials, well managed and only accessible by the landlord.
  8. Final exit door(s) to lead to a place of safety and to be openable from the inside without the use of a key (excluding family homes).
  9. Any locks fitted to bedroom doors are to be openable from the inside without the use of a key.
  10. Habitable inner rooms will only be acceptable on a floor not more than 4.5m above ground level (first floor level) subject to general requirements laid out in LACORS guidance and Building Regulations Approved Document B.
  11. Escape windows to comply with the requirements laid down in LACORS guidance and Building Regulations Approved Document B.
  12. Where glazing panels are fitted in or above doors or in walls, they must be capable of providing at least the same fire resistance as the surrounding material.
  13. Landlord or agent to provide adequate fire safety instructions for residents at commencement of tenancy and where necessary to any employees.


Hard Wired Interlinked Smoke and Heat Detectors


Family Accommodation

Single Level
2 Storeys
 3 Storeys and above
Heat Detector in Kitchen
Yes Yes Yes
Smoke detector on escape route on all levels
Yes Yes Yes
Smoke detector in communal rooms i.e. Living room(s)
No No No
Smoke detector Bedrooms
No No No



Single Level
2 Storeys
 3 Storeys and above
Heat Detector in Kitchen
Yes Yes Yes
Smoke detector on escape route on all levels
Yes Yes Yes
Smoke detector in communal rooms i.e. Living room(s)
Yes Yes Yes
Smoke detector Bedrooms
No No Yes


Fire Doors

Where required fire doors must provide 30 minutes of fire resistance. Each fire door set must

  • have three high melt point hinges fitted with intumescent strips and cold smoke seals
  • fire doors fitted to the kitchen and cupboards on the means of escape must be fitted with intumescent strips only.
  • All fire doors must fit correctly into the doorframe and be fitted with an adequate closer.
  • All locks and latches must be sleeved in intumescent material.

Family Accommodation

Single Level
2 Storeys
3 Storeys & above
Kitchen not opening directly onto main hallway
No No Yes
Kitchen that does opening directly onto main hallway
Yes Yes Yes
Living room
No No Yes
No No Yes
Cupboards opening onto escape routes housing gas or electricity meters
No No Yes
Other rooms opening onto the escape route and containing gas burning appliances
No No Yes
Occupied basements
Yes Yes Yes
Front entrance door from common hall/staircase
Yes Yes Yes


Single Level
2 Storeys
3 Storeys and above
Kitchen not opening directly onto main hallway
Yes Yes Yes
Kitchen that does opening directly onto main hallway
Yes Yes Yes
Living room
No No Yes
No No Yes
Cupboards opening onto escape routes housing gas or electricity meters
No No Yes
Other rooms opening onto the escape route and containing gas burning appliances
No No Yes
Occupied basements
Yes Yes Yes
Front entrance door from common hall/staircase
Yes Yes Yes


Furniture and Furnishings

All furniture supplied by the landlord must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 as amended. All new furniture must carry a permanent label describing the fire resistance of all the materials used. This does not apply to furniture provided by the tenant.

Space Standards

The property must be suitable for occupation for the number of households or persons who live there. The calculation of room size only takes into consideration that part of the room where the ceiling height is greater than 1.5m and only takes account of useable space.

Property with communal lounge (excluding kitchen)
Minimum bedroom size
Bedroom for 1 person 6.51 m²
Bedroom for 2 people 10.22 m²
Bedroom for under 10yrs of age (Let in connection with one of the rooms above) 4.64 m² -6.5 m²


Property without communal lounge
Minimum bedroom size
Bedroom for 1 person 10.0 m²
Bedroom for 2 people 15.0 m²


Letting contains cooking facilities
Minimum bedroom size
Bedroom for 1 person 13 m²
Bedroom for 2 persons 18.6 m²


All rooms used for sleeping accommodation must have natural ventilation, natural lighting and an unobstructed outlook. They must also be capable of accommodating a bed, a wardrobe (unless there is a built-in wardrobe or cupboard of adequate size) and a chest of drawers.

Energy Efficiency

Loft insulation must be a minimum of at least 250 mm. Where there is any upgrade of loft insulation, a standard compatible with current Building Regulations should be met.  The property should have at least two of the following energy efficiency measures:

  • Double glazing
  • Energy efficient central heating boiler.
  • Cavity wall insulation
  • Draught-proofing
  • Radiator thermostats
  • Low energy light bulbs throughout.

All rented properties are required to have a valid Energy Performance Certificate [EPC) of E or above.

Space Heating

All habitable rooms must be provided with adequate and suitable fixed space heating appliances or a controllable central heating system. Where central heating is not installed other adequate, appropriate, affordable, programmable, controllable, and efficient heating sources must be provided.

All rooms should be capable of reaching and being maintained at 18 oC.

Kitchen Facilities

There must be a kitchen of a suitable layout and size and equipped with adequate facilities so as to allow the safe and hygienic storage, preparation and cooking of food.

The kitchen must be equipped with the following equipment, which must be fit for the purpose and supplied in a sufficient quantity for the number of those sharing the facilities.

  • Sink(s) with draining boards
  • An adequate supply of cold and constant hot water to each sink
  • Installations or equipment for the cooking of food
  • An adequate number of electrical sockets
  • Adequate and suitable Worktops for the preparation of food
  • Adequate cupboards for the storage of food or kitchen and cooking utensils
  • Refrigerators with an adequate freezer compartment (or, where the freezer compartment is not adequate, adequate separate freezers)
  • Appropriate refuse disposal facilities; and
  • Walls adjacent to preparation and cooking area that are capable of being easily cleaned.
  • All units and any appliances provided must be in good repair and in good working order.
  • An openable window must be present.
  • There must be a suitable means of mechanical extract ventilation.

In an HMO occupied by 3 or 4 persons the kitchen or kitchen area should have a usable floor area (measured wall to wall, including space occupied by units/cabinets) of at least 5.5m2. In an HMO occupied by 5 or 6 persons the kitchen or kitchen area should have a usable floor area (measured wall to wall, including space occupied by units/cabinets) of at least 7.0m2. For each occupant in excess of 6 an additional 1.0m2 per person is required up to a maximum of 13.0m2.

HMOs must meet the standard detailed in the table below. For family accommodation, we recommend the below as a desired guideline.

Number of occupiers

Minimum Kitchen Facilities Required
 1 – 6 persons
1 gas or electric cooker with a minimum of 4 burners/rings, grill and oven

1 sink with a draining board and

Fridge(s) with a total capacity of 150 litres

Separate freezer OR equivalent size fridge/freezer

1.5 linear meters of workbench next to cooking facilities

 7 – 12 persons
1 gas or electric cooker with a minimum of 4 burners/rings, grill and oven plus 1 microwave OR 2 gas or electric cookers each with a minimum of 4 burners/rings, grill and oven cookers.

1 sink with a draining board and 1 dishwasher OR 2 sinks

Fridge(s) with a total capacity of 170 litres plus 20 litres per person in excess of 7 persons.

Separate freezer(s) OR equivalent size fridge/freezer

3 linear meters of workbench next to cooking facilities

12+ persons
Where there are more than 12 persons an additional oven, grill and 4 burner hob and kettle must be provided
Cooking - two burner hob, an oven, grill and kettle.

Refrigerator with a minimum capacity of 40 litres, together with a freezer compartment.

Suitably sized sink and drainer.

Food Preparation - a worktop or table of suitable material at least 500mm x 1000mm.


Bathing and Toilet Facilities

  • An openable window must be present.
  • The facility must allow for privacy.
  • All baths, showers and wash hand basins must be equipped with taps providing an adequate supply of cold and constant hot water.
  • All bathrooms must be suitable and adequately heated with a suitable means of mechanical extract ventilation.
  • All bathrooms and toilets must be of an adequate size and layout to allow comfortable use, including dressing and undressing.
  • A suitable locking mechanism must be fitted to the access door.
  • All baths, toilets and wash hand basins must be fit for purpose.
  • A separate WC must contain a wash hand basin with a supply of hot and cold water.


HMOs must meet the standard detailed in the table below. For family accommodation, we recommend the below as a desired guideline.

Number of occupiers (HMOs only)
Number of bathrooms

(bath or shower, WC & wash hand basin)

1- 5 1
6 -10 2


Gas Safety

All gas appliances must have a safety check carried out every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. A copy of a current, satisfactory certificate must be provided with the application form.

A record of this safety check must be given to tenants within 28 days or to a new tenant when they move in. A copy of the safety check must be kept for two years.

Carbon monoxide detection

A long-life tamper-proof Carbon Monoxide detector must be provided in a suitable location within the property where gas is supplied to the property.

Ensure that a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in any room in the house which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation (including a bathroom or a lavatory) and contains a solid fuel burning combustion appliance and keep any such alarm in proper working order.

Electrical Installations

The landlord must carry out a visual inspection at the beginning of a tenancy and at least annually thereafter. This inspection should cover all electrical items. Arrangements must be made to rectify any defects immediately.

The landlord must test and inspect the electrical installation every 5 years. A copy of the satisfactory certificate must be provided to the tenant. This must be carried out by a ‘competent person’ who is a member of one of the governments approved schemes.

Electrical Appliances

The landlord must ensure that all portable electrical appliances i.e. those items supplied via a plug e.g. kettles, toasters, washing machines, fridges etc provided by the landlord are in a safe condition.

All appliances should be tested on an annual basis and at the commencement of each tenancy.


All properties must have adequate security provisions.

All ground floor and other accessible windows must be protected by the provision of suitable window locks or other appropriate security measures. Keys must be readily available at all times.

The front and rear doors must be of sound construction and well maintained and provided with a secure lock.  The front door must be fitted with a suitable viewer or door chain where the door is not fitted with a transparent glass panel.

In HMOs doors fitted with a lock, including final exit doors, tenants must be able to open from the inside without the use of a key.

The rear boundary of the property must be maintained to ensure it is secure and in good repair at all times and, where fitted, lane gates/doors must be provided with a suitable locking device. Tenants must be able to exit the property from the rear boundary gate / door.

Where applicable, the rear boundary gate must be decorated with a visible house number.

Condensation and mould

Provide tenants with an information leaflet advising them of how they can reduce condensation and reduce the chances of mould growth from excessive condensation.

Fit suitable mechanical extraction to any bathrooms and kitchen.

Refuse Provisions

A suitable bin or bins for the disposal of refuse must be provided at the property at the commencement of each tenancy. Ensure

  • Adequate capacity is provided for the number of occupants.
  • information is provided to the tenants on arrangements for the storage and disposal of waste to include specific detail about bins, collection days and information about the disposal of bulky items such as furniture.
  • No refuse shall be kept in the front, side or rear garden or yard other than in an approved storage container for that purpose.


Will ensure that they have adequate landlord insurance to cover the rental property and property business.

Tenancy Management

This section looks at how a landlord manages the property, the tenants and tenancy.  Good property management is as essential to being a professional landlord as maintaining the physical building.

Ensure tenants are provided with a suitable tenant’s pack, which should include:

  • information about how to report repairs, including emergencies and out of hours contact,
  • information on arrangements for the storage and disposal of waste, including bin collection days, where bins should but stored and how to request bulky collections,
  • Copies of the gas and electrical safety certificates and the EPC,
  • Copies of manuals/instructions for installations and equipment,
  • Copies of any property licences (where applicable).


Ongoing professional development

Landlords / Managing agents are expected to improve and maintain their knowledge and competency by undertaking training and development in housing related matters. It is expected that landlords will complete at least five hours training per year. This may include attendance on training courses relating to housing either locally or nationally, completing a recognised online training course or even attending private landlord meetings, forums, or events.

Please contact the Private Rented Service for more details if you would like information on training.

Right to Rent Checks

Landlords are expected to comply with the Right to Rent check requirements before starting any new tenancy. Landlords may be asked to demonstrate that they have checked all adults aged over the age of 18 (regardless of whether they are named on the tenancy agreement or where no written tenancy is in place) have a right to rent a property in England. You should:

  • Find out you know which adults will be living in the property as their main home.
  • Check they have documents which prove that they can live in the UK (a list of documents is available at uk).
  • Always ask to see original documents.
  • Take a copy of these documents and record the date of viewing the documents.
  • Keep a copy of these documents for the duration of the tenancy.

If a tenant has limited time to remain in the UK (i.e. time limited Visa) you can still rent to them, but you should check the rules on the Gov.uk site and follow the follow-up check procedure.

If you are unsure about a tenant’s Right to Rent status or want to check that an application for a Visa is being processed, you can do so via the Request a Home Office right to rent check service.


Landlords must ensure robust references for prospective tenants are obtained before they make a new tenancy agreement.

Landlords may be asked to provide evidence as to how the references have been obtained. Examples of information you will need from a prospective tenant will include:

  • Current and previous addresses with landlord details from last three years, if applicable
  • Contact details including full name and dates of birth.
  • Details of other persons who will be living with the tenant.

Other checks you may want to make are:

  • Have they got written references from previous landlords or letting agents?
  • Proof of employment
  • Whether or not they are a Local Housing Allowance (Housing Benefit) claimant
  • Proof of identification.

The Private Rented Service offers advice on referencing and choosing prospective tenants.

National Landlord Organisations and landlords’ service companies also offer tenant referencing and vetting services with various different checks including credit checks.
Protecting your tenant’s bond/deposit

All bonds or deposits must be protected by one of the government’s nominated schemes. Details of the bond amount and the scheme in which it will be protected must be included within the tenancy agreement.

Failure to protect a deposit will jeopardise possession proceedings.

After the deposit has been protected you must supply the Prescribed Information and comply with the Initial Requirements of the particular scheme that you use. The three schemes have different rules and procedures that apply to them. These rules apply to anyone who receives a deposit.

At the end of the tenancy the landlord should return the deposit to the tenant or provide reasons why the wish to retain the deposit within 10 days. If the landlord and tenant cannot agree on how much deposit should be return to the tenant and how much should be retained by the all the schemes are supported by an alternative dispute resolution (ADR) service. The ADR will look at the supporting documents (i.e. inventory, rent statements etc.), make decision and advise both parties.
Tenancy Agreements

A written tenancy agreement is required at the start of each letting, after the initial fixed term the landlord can allow the tenancy to become periodic.

A tenancy agreement is a legal agreement in writing that sets out the rights and responsibilities of both landlord and tenant. It will contain details such as the length of the agreement, the rent payable, and what is and isn't allowed in the property. It is advisable not to hand over keys to a tenant unless the tenants have signed the tenancy agreement.

Seek advice from your own independent adviser before choosing the type of agreement and the terms it includes to make sure that it meets your own needs.

A landlord should ensure that they provide the start of tenancy necessities at the start of, and the renewal of, any fixed term tenancy agreement.  This includes a copy of your property licence, details of where any deposit paid has been protected, a valid gas safety certificate, a valid copy of the energy performance certificate, a copy of the most recent How to rent in England leaflet.

Tenancy agreements can be provided by the Private Rented Service.


An inventory is a list of everything that a landlord may provide in their rented property e.g. carpets, curtains, furniture and kitchenware together with details of the property condition prior to the commencement of the tenancy. An inventory is required for each new tenancy, for both furnished and unfurnished lets. It can help avoid a dispute over a deposit when a tenant moves out, as it establishes the condition of the property and its contents before the tenant moved in. The landlord must ensure that any remedial works identified during the inventory are rectified within a reasonable period of time.

You are advised to agree the inventory together with the tenant. Both parties must sign and date the forms with each retaining a copy. If you take a deposit and fail to do an inventory you will find it difficult to claim for damages or deduct from the deposit money as you would need to provide evidence of the condition of the property at the start of the tenancy.

When the keys are returned, the landlord and tenant should check the condition of the furniture, fixtures and fittings against the original inventory and any photographs taken. This allows both parties to agree on the final condition of the property and its contents. Wear and tear should be taken into account. Contact will need to be made with the appropriate rent deposit scheme holder for any disputes over any proposed deductions.

Before the end of the tenancy a landlord should conduct a pre-end of tenancy inspection, using the inventory as a guide, to point out any snagging points (such as decoration, cleaning, waste removal etc) that require attention and allow the tenant adequate time to address these issues before the keys are handed back.

The Private Rented Service have sample inventory forms and can offer advice on completing a strong inventory.

Quiet and peaceful enjoyment

The landlord will observe the tenants right to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of the property.  This means they will not attend the property without prior written notification allowing 24 hours’ notice, unless in the case of an emergency.

The landlord, or their agent, will not harass a tenant either by attending the property without an appointment or by excess correspondence.   If the tenant falls into rent arrears, or you are experiencing other problems with the tenancy and the tenant is being uncooperative you can seek advice from the Private Rented Service.

Unless specifically requested by the tenant, a landlord should try to keep visits, phone calls and other correspondence between traditional open hours (i.e. weekdays between 9 and 5).

Tenants reporting and repairs.

Provide tenants with a clear method to report to the landlord, including out of hours and emergency contact procedure for tenants to report priority/ urgent repairs.

Provide tenants with details at the start of the tenancy of timescales they can expect for emergency, non-emergency repairs and a schedule for general ongoing maintenance of the property.

Priority/ urgent repairs
24 hours
General repairs
3 to 5 working days
Nonurgent repairs
20 working days


Rent accounts.

Keep up to date and detailed rent accounts that can be made available to tenants upon request.

End of tenancy management

If a Licence Holder needs to take action to end a tenancy, they will follow the correct legal process by serving a valid notice and following up by applying to the Court for a possession order where necessary.

If you need advice on bringing a tenancy to an end you can contact the Private Rented Service for advice.

Managing Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)

Landlords should take all reasonable and practicable steps for preventing and dealing effectively with anti-social behaviour, including ensuring that any tenancy agreement contains a clause holding the occupants responsible for any anti-social behaviour by themselves and/or their visitors.

Should a landlord receive any complaints about their tenants they should follow a reasonable incremental process when dealing with ASB and will cooperate with the Local Authority and/ or Police when dealing with complaints.

The Landlord

In this section we will look at the individual, landlord or managing agent who is responsible for managing the property.

Fit and proper persons criteria

It is essential that the landlord, or manager of a property, is fit and proper. The applicant must not have:

  • Committed any offence involving fraud or other dishonesty, violence or drugs, or any offence listed in Schedule 3 to the Sexual Offences Act 2003.
  • Practiced any unlawful discrimination on the grounds of sex, colour, race, ethnic or national origins or disability in, or in connection with, the carrying out of any business.
  • Contravened any provision of the law relating to housing or of landlord and tenant law.
  • Been refused a licence or had a licence revoked for any property in relation to HMO, additional or selective licensing under the Housing Act 2004.
  • Been the owner or manager of a property which has had substantiated complaints from tenants or other sources regarding serious or repeated breaches of the conditions of a licence; in relation to HMO, additional or selective licensing under the Housing Act 2004.
  • Been the owner or manager of any property, which has been the subject of an interim or final management order or a special interim management order under the Housing Act 2004.
  • The landlord should not owe any (relevant) outstanding debt to the Council. This can include, but is not exclusive to, any outstanding Property Licence fee payments, Civil Penalties, or Council Tax debt (associated with their property business).
  • Any conduct or business practices which are considered by Newcastle City Council to indicate unsuitability to be the licence holder or manager of a licensed property.


Finances must be readily available to the Landlord and/or property manager to deal with routine and emergency repairs at the property.

In cases where a managing agent is applying for the Accreditation, the owner will need to authorise expenditure of 25% of the yearly income of the house for such repairs (at a minimum of £1500) by the agent. Existing management contracts between the agent and the owner should be amended accordingly.


Complaints against a landlord or letting agent who has agreed to adhere to these standards will be dealt with by the department receiving the complaint, in line with existing complaints procedures.

Where circumstances arise which warrant a landlord to be withdrawn from the accreditation scheme, the Council will consider each case individually.

Where landlords and agents are identified to be operating where serious concerns have been raised over either the physical standards of their properties or their general management standards, they may be recommended to be placed on the City Council’s Intervention list. If placed on the interventions list, a landlord will be unable to have an accredited property whilst involved in the management of the property.

The Council will inform the landlord, in writing, of the reason(s) for the decision and any recommendations or conditions attached.  The landlord will be given an opportunity to make written representations to the Council in writing within 14 days of receiving the decision.  Following this 14 day period, and if no representation is made, the landlord will be removed from the accreditation scheme and where appropriate added to the interventions list. After consideration of any representations from the landlord, a letter will be issued by the Council detailing the reasons for the decision, any further actions required and the landlords’ right to appeal.

An appeal can be made, in writing within 21 days, to the Council where it will be considered by a panel consisting of at least 2 members of Senior Management, a representative from Public Safety and Regulation, and a representative of the Private Rented Service. The Panel will notify the landlord and other interested parties in writing of the outcome of the appeal within 7 days of the decision being made.

The Council will regularly review the decision as agreed by the group or subsequent panel.

The Council will inform the landlord once the decision has been made that they are eligible to reapply for the accreditation scheme. If a landlord is removed from the accreditation scheme but not added to the interventions list an application for re-inclusion will not be accepted within 12 months of removal and until the standards are fully met and/or the landlord has carried out appropriate training.

Contact us

Accreditation Team

Email:                          nas@newcastle.gov.uk

Phone:                        0191 211 5595

Public Safety and Regulation

Email:                         psr@newcastle.gov.uk

Phone:                        0191 211 6102

Private Rented Service Newcastle

Email:                         privaterentedservice@newcastle.gov.uk

Phone:                        0191 277 1438