You will all be very aware of the increase in COVID cases and we know that everyone is doing their bit to reduce the spread of this disease. We know Landlords have worked hard over the last two years to support tenants and maintain their businesses through these incredible challenging times.
The public health messages are clear, good ventilation will not only help reduce transmission of the virus but will also help reduce condensation, dampness, mould and fungal growth and dust mites.
• Ensure that all habitable rooms have functioning openable windows (including providing replacement keys where these have been misplaced/lost) - ideally with opening areas of at least 1120th of the floor area;
• Ensure that all bathrooms/kitchens have either functioning openable windows and/or (preferably both) appropriate functioning extract ventilation;
• Consider installing positive pressure or constant run ventilation systems to ensure there is adequate background ventilation and to reduce the likelihood of condensation, and ensure that such systems are operating effectively, with filters etc replaced at appropriate intervals;
• Ensure that tenants have clear instructions and understand how to operate ventilation and heating systems, and are advised on the best ways to achieve a healthy and economic balance of heating, ventilation and moisture production within the home;
• Ensure that problems with damp are fully investigated and addressed promptly.